Is your identity at risk? Use these tips to defend it, and get more protection with insurance.
Have you ever found yourself in credit debt? Digging yourself out from under a pile of debt accrued with that little piece of plastic is challenging, but trying to get out from under a huge heap you didn’t even build yourself can be downright devastating! That’s the situation in which you can find yourself without proper identity theft protection.
Everything from swiping your credit card to shopping online to opening an email can put your identity at risk. Once someone has taken it, he or she can use your credit to spend a lot of your money. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to take action! Use these tips to prevent identity theft.
- Be wary of emails. If you don’t know the sender or the email contains a suspicious link, don’t click anything and throw it in the trash!
- Only make online purchases with a secure web connection on secure websites (look for the s in the https://). Also, don’t allow websites to remember your credit card information.
- Regularly check your accounts. That way, if you do experience a fraudulent purchase, you can address it right away before more of your money gets used.
- Keep a firewall on your computer.
- Never give out personal information unless you’re positive it will be kept secure, and shred any documents containing personal info before disposing of them.
- Get insurance. You can insure against the risk of identity theft, so ask your agent if identity theft is already included in your homeowners insurance or if you should get separate coverage for it.
Don’t leave your identity or your financial wellbeing exposed! Contact Northstar Insurance in Walnut Creek, California to learn about how you can use your insurance coverage to protect yourself from the risks of the modern age.